Installing CyanogenMod on an HTC Legend
These are the steps I took this morning to unlock my HTC Legend and install CyanogenMod. My Legend is on Virgin Mobile Canada/Bell Mobility.
You will need
- Oracle Java JDK (Required for Android SDK install)
- ClockworkMod Recovery 188.8.131.52
- Latest CyanogenMod .zip file
- Latest Google Apps .zip file
Run the installers for the first two.
Unlocking the bootloader
Visit HTC's Developer Site, register, and follow the instructions to unlock your phone's bootloader.
Flash ClockworkMod Recovery
- Power on your phone holding Volume Down + Power.
- Select "Fastboot" and press the power button.
- Connect the phone to the computer. The red text on the phone's boot screens should change from "Fastboot" to "Fastboot USB"
- Put the ClockworkMod .img file in the C:\Android folder you created following HTC's directions
- Open a Windows command window
- cd to the C:\Android (or whatever) folder
- Run the following command:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-184.108.40.206-legend.img
The last bit is directly from the CM wiki:
- Download the latest version of CyanogenMod.
- Optional: Download the Google Apps for the device.
- Place the CyanogenMod update.zip file on the root of the SD card.
- Optional: Place the Google Apps .zip on the root of the SD card also.
- Boot into the ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Once the device boots into the ClockworkMod Recovery, use the side volume buttons to move around, and either the power button or the trackball to select.
- Optional: Select backup and restore to create a backup of current installation on the HTC Legend.
- Select the option todata/factory reset.
- Then select the option tocache partition.
- Select Install zip from sdcard.
- Select Choose zip from sdcard.
- Select the CyanogenMod update.zip.
- Optional: Install the Google Apps by performing steps 7 - 9 again and choosing the Google Apps update.zip.
- Once the installation has finished, select +++++Go Back+++++ to get back to the main menu, and select the Reboot system now option. The HTC Legend should now boot into CyanogenMod
With any luck, this process will work as perfectly for you as it did for me.